A new coalition that is focusing on increasing healthy behaviors by utilizing campaigns and preexisting programs/evidence-based strategies to target youth weekly physical activity levels and adult obesity rates. A past activity and nutrition coalition was established in 2003 and ran for many years, but has been inactive for the past couple of years. Our goal is to reignite a fire and passion for a healthy lifestyle in the community. The first meeting for this new coalition will take place Thursday, January 10th, 2019 from 8am-9am at the YMCA.
Future Action Items
- Promote the 52108 campaign (5 fruits and veggies, 2 hours of screen time, 1 hour of activity, 0 sugary beverages, 8 hours of sleep, 8 glasses of water)
- Utilize NFL Play 60 program to coordinate efforts among schools in the county
- Promote Children Achieve 25 (25 miles, 25 books, 25 good deeds) in summer campaign
- Encourage nutrition/Calorie labeling at restaurants
- Identify and promote organizations and activities that advocate for increased activity levels and better nutrition
The first meeting will be held Thursday, January 10th, 2019 from 8am-9am at the YMCA.
If the Physical Activity and Nutrition Coalition sounds like something you or your organization is interested in joining, please send HMC a message or contact: