We envision community environments that support healthy lifestyles by promoting good nutrition and increased physical activity.
60mins. a Day | 5 days a Week
Who are we?
We represent schools, worksites, community clubs and groups, daycares, and families promoting active lifestyles where we live, learn, work and play. Our goal is for Manitowoc County residents to be active 60 minutes per day.
What we do:
Why we exist:
According to the 2013 Manitowoc County Community Health Assessment:
- 73% of Manitowoc County Adults are overweight
- 42% of Manitowoc County Adults were getting the recommended moderate or vigorous physical activity
Regular physical activity in adults can lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, colon and breast cancer, and depression.
Physical activity in children and adolescents can improve bone health, improve cardio-respiratory and muscular fitness, decrease the level of body fat and reduce symptoms of depression.
Lean on the Lakeshore Challenge
Lean on the Lakeshore is a 100-day weight loss challenge starting January 4th, 2015, open to anyone who lives or works in Manitowoc County and is interested in living a healthier lifestyle and losing weight.
The fitness professionals in Manitowoc County came together to create a weight loss challenge where participants will benefit from all of their expertise, at each of their fitness facilities. The goal is to work together to utilize all fitness and nutrition resources in Manitowoc to support participants as they make a lifestyle change to lead a more active and healthy life.
Each week, teams are invited to attend various events and activities at different locations in Manitowoc County. Activities will include exercise classes or sessions at various fitness facilities, as well as outdoor fitness activities. Events will include nutrition education presentations, cooking demonstrations, and grocery store tours.
An added bonus – area restaurants are also getting involved! Check back at the Healthiest Manitowoc County website to see which restaurants will be offering healthy options at their location to make eating out easier during this challenge!
There’s the hidden message in the name, did you notice?
“Lean” has a double meaning… It certainly insinuates we have a goal of being fit and trim, but “lean” also means to lean on each other, help your teammates, and celebrate successes together. We’re not only bringing together a team of 10, but the whole community. We’ll be working out with other teams and learning from each other. We’ll keep each other accountable, provide support, and be there to lean on when a teammate needs an ear to listen, or shoulder to lean on.
There is a registration fee of $25 *plus online processng fee. Fee includes admission to fitness facilities for events as well as free guest passes needed to complete some of the event challenges offered. All participants registering before the Dec.15th deadline will also receive a t-shirt!
Teams consist of 2-10 people. When you register, you’ll be asked to choose to be part of one of three categories of teams:
1. FRAMILY TEAM. Registering for this group means you either already have a group of friends and family that would like to complete the challenge together, or you would like to be placed on a team that has similar goals. As a team, you will assign a captain, or someone to motivate the group and keep the group informed of events, activities, and information.
2. WORK PLACE TEAM. Registering for this group means you have a group of coworkers, or coworkers and their families that want to be on a team together. You’ll cheer each other on, keep each other accountable, and achieve your goals through the strong bond of team work.
3. FITNESS FACILITY TEAM. Each participating fitness facility is hosting a minimum of one team. Participants in this category will be a part of a group that is trained by a health and fitness expert. You’ll receive professional fitness training and guidance for all 100 days of the challenge! Your coach will ensure accountability, motivation, and personalization of a plan that fits your specific needs in order to make a lifestyle change.
- a. Anyone can apply to be part of a fitness facility team, regardless of whether you have a membership at that location. If you are selected to be on a team with a trainer from a facility where you do not currently have membership, the facility will grant a 100 day membership during the challenge; however, if you do not meet your fitness goals over 100 days, the facility may ask you to pay the membership fee.
- b. Because there is limited availability of fitness professionals, this is a limited category. You will be asked to prioritize your fitness facility of choice, your first, second, and third preferences. Applications will be reviewed by the fitness professionals in the order of your preference and teams will be assigned. After selections have been made, any registrants not placed on a facility team can be grouped together in a Framily team or choose to join another team. Teams will be chosen and announced by January 1st, and participants will be introduced to their teams at the kick-off event on January 4th!
Weight Loss Measurement:
Every participant will step on the scale at the kickoff event for an initial weight measurement. Each week, teams are encouraged to measure their own weight loss and then track and report their results. At the end of the challenge, participants are again weighed at the final group event. Outcomes will be listed in two categories:
- Individual percentage of weight loss
- Group percentage of weight loss
The kick-off event will be held on January 4, 2015. During the event you’ll meet your team, meet the fitness and nutrition resources in your community, participate in team building activities, and do a little exercise to kick the challenge off right! You’ll come away from this event excited, inspired, and motivated for the changes you’ll see over the next 100 days!
- Time and location of the Kick-off Event to be announced
Farm to Table
Goal of Farm to Table
Committed to being the meeting that’s not a meeting! Fun energized group dedicated to linking people already part of the local food movement with those new to the food movement. Together we work to increase access to and consumption of fresh locally grown foods.
Who are we?
Together, strengthening Farm to Table by increasing active members and supporting grassroots efforts to grow, sell and eat fresh local foods throughout Manitowoc County.
What we do:
Farm to Table – Growers, culinary artists and eaters working together to support the local economy and improve the nutrient value of all food for all people (home, schools, worksites, institutions)
How we do it:
Procurement: encourage partnerships between food service and producers, increasing dollars allocated specifically for local purchases, EBT at the market, education and research.